Pilgrimage to Fatima
Travelling to Portugal, 10 - 14 June 2017.
Since 1917, millions of pilgrims have visited the sanctuary of Fatima in northern Portugal to call on the protection of Our Lady who appeared here to three shepherd children for six months in succession instructing them to convey her message to the world that mankind should show penance for their sins and pray the rosary every day. Our pilgrimage will take place during the 100th anniversary of the apparitions. The three, originally secret, messages of Fatima were for prayer, reparation, repentance and sacrifice, and the abandonment of sin.
The first secret was a vision of hell which contrasts with the heaven previously shown to the children by Our Lady. The second secret included Mary’s instructions on how to save souls from hell and convert the world to the Christian faith. The third secret gives a vision of the death of the Pope and other religious figures. The message shows a flaming sword coming into contact with Our Lady and dying out, suggesting that in the end, good triumphs over evil.
Day one – London Heathrow - Lisbon
Our scheduled flight departs Heathrow at 11:20am. On arrival at Lisbon Airport we transfer to our hotel in Fatima.
Day two – Fatima
This morning, we proceed to Aljustrel for Stations of the Cross and to visit the Shrines of the Apparitions of Our Lady and the Angels, and to see the homes of the children, Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia. After time for lunch we have a guided tour to include the Basilica and the Chapel of the Apparitions. In the evening there will be (hopefully) the opportunity to take part in the torchlight procession.
Day three – Fatima
Today will be spent in Fatima. In the morning, we take part in the Mass at the sanctuary. Lunch will be in our hotel. This afternoon there will be the opportunity for private devotions and shopping, or else the opportunity for a visit to the museum, O Milagre de Fatima, which recreates the historical events from the beginning of the 20th century, the apparitions of the Angel of Portugal, the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima and the Miracle of the Sun. Also, the Fatima wax museum next to the sanctuary is worth a visit, where the story of the Fatima witnesses and other historical events is told through wax figures. After dinner in the hotel we join the famous celebrations marking the apparitions, beginning with International Rosary and Candlelight Procession, continuing with Holy Mass and Night Vigil.
Day four – Fatima
The Feast of Our Lady of Fatima
Today there will be a special event to mark the 100th anniversary of the second apparition by Our Lady to the three shepherd children on this date in 1917. We join the concluding celebrations for the feast, including Rosary, Mass, the anointing of the sick and Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The afternoon will be free for private devotions and souvenir hunting. Lunch and dinner will be in our hotel today.
Day five – Fatima - Lisbon - London Heathrow
Morning is at leisure and lunch at choice. In the afternoon we transfer to Lisbon Airport for our 4:10pm flight departure to Heathrow, arriving there at 6:50pm.
This itinerary is subject to change without prior notification
This tour involves a substantial amount of long distance walking, some of which will be over irregular surfaces such as cobblestones and badly-maintained walking areas. If everyday walking is something you find difficult, this tour may be unsuitable for you.
Travel Insurance: £26
Single Room Supplement: £108
· Scheduled flights of TAP Portugal - Heathrow to Lisbon to Heathrow.
· Accommodation based on sharing a twin-bedded room with en suite facilities at the Hotel Casa das Irmas Dominicanas (3-star) - four nights, on half board basis plus two lunches.
· All coach transfers and touring in Portugal as per the itinerary, by air-conditioned coach.
· Portuguese and English speaking tour manager while in Portugal.
· Local English-speaking guides where appropriate to the itinerary.
· All entrance fees as per the itinerary.
· Mass and other devotions as per the itinerary.
· ATOL and ABTA financial protection.
· Travel insurance. We offer cover by Travel & General Insurance Services. Their premium is currently £26. Further details are on our booking form.
· Single room supplement at £108 (limited availability).
· Other lunches. Drinks if not included with the meals.
· Transport within the U.K.
· Fuel surcharges if passed on by the airline.
· Gratuities to hotels, restaurants, drivers and local guides.
Terms of Payment:
Non-refundable deposit of £300 (plus the insurance premium if the cover we offer is required) per person, with a completed booking form.
The balance payment to be received by Pax Travel no later than 2 months before departure.
The above price is guaranteed for the first 25 people Pax Travel receives bookings for. Further bookings may be subject to a flight surcharge.